My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected. If not, visit
http://beerobsessed.com/blog
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Yeast starters and stir plates

One question that concerned me about stir plates is understanding if your yeast is alive and working on your DME based starter. Without a stir plate, you will see a krausen develop and movement within the wort. Since the starter is in constant motion on a stir plate, the krausen never develops. I guess you could check the gravity but that seems like a lot of extra work, plus you may have a small starter (1000ml or less). One easy indicator to determine good activity is a fairly dramatic lightening of color after 12 hours (I make my starter the night before and then check it in the morning), this is a good sign that your yeast is working:

No comments: